Local First Responders Compete for Charity
Now in its second year, the "Champions for Charity" challenge will feature teams of local first responder heroes competing in a three-round cooking challenge to win $3,000 for the charity of their choice. This exciting competition will take place on Friday, July 28 on the Garlic Cook-Off Stage.
DON'T MISS IN 2017!
Bigger - Better - Bolder
The 2017 Champions for Charity contest will be emceed by MasterChef Season 7 winner Shaun O'Neale—no stranger to cooking under high-pressure situations!
If you'd like to compete in this year's contest, please fill out an online application by May 31, 2017.
- The competition will include up to four teams of 2 active or retired Law Enforcement, Fire Department, or EMS professionals.
- Each team will create dishes in three elimination rounds: Appetizer (20 minutes); Entree (30 minutes); and Dessert (20 minutes).
- Garlic must be used in all courses of this competition.
- Each round will be judged on taste, appearance, creativity and use of garlic by a panel of three (3) judges.
- One team will be eliminated after each round until the final winners are determined based on their dishes from all three rounds.
- The winner will be announced the end of the competition and presented a check for $3,000 to their charity.
- Each team must select a designated 501(c)3 Non-Profit Charitable Organization prior to the competition.
- During the competition, the Host will be speaking with the teams, learning about their dishes/methods/techniques, their agencies, and their charities of choice.
- Ingredients will be provided to the teams at the beginning of each round as well as the garlic that is to be featured and highlighted in each course.
- A pantry will be available with a variety of spices, condiments and staples. No outside food items will be allowed in this competition.
- Two gas-powered cooking ranges will be provided for each team, complete with four-burner cooktops & ovens.
- Teams are required to bring any specialty cooking equipment, plating, and serving items. Each team must be prepared to serve 3 total courses to a panel of 3 Judges and a Host (total 4 dishes per course).
- Team members must be amateur cooks to ensure a level playing field for all contestants.
- Online applications must be submitted prior to May 31, 2017.