Burnin and Lootin smoked the competition to win Overall Grand Champ in the first-ever Gilroy Garli-Que BBQ Challenge on Saturday, July 30, at the 2016 Gilroy Garlic Festival. Smokey Luv BBQ was named Reserve Champ.
Contestants in the Kansas City BBQ Society (KCBS) sanctioned event competed in five categories (Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork Shoulder, Beef Brisket, and “Anything with Garlic”), which were evaluated by a panel of KCBS judges. Festival guests who sampled the BBQ fare also voted to determine the People’s Choice award for each category.
First place winners were:
- Chicken: Smokey Luv BBQ
- Pork Ribs: Bar-B-Q's-2 Go
- Pork Shoulder: Bar-B-Q's-2 Go
- Beef Brisket: Son of Smoke
- Anything with Garlic: Son of Smoke
- People's Choice: Bad 'S BBQ