Shakshuka with Deep Fried Garlic
by 2015 Great Garlic Cook-Off winner Jodi Taffel, Altadena, CA
Ingredients For Shakshuka:
½ pound bacon
1 large shallot, minced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
½ cup pickled jalapeño peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons ginger, grated
2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo, chopped
1 tablespoon sambal
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons dried tarragon
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup crumbles feta cheese plus 2 tablespoons
7 extra-large eggs
¼ cup chopped scallions (for garnish)
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roughly chop the bacon and fry in a medium sized stockpot or Dutch oven.
3. Remove bacon and add shallot and onion to the bacon fat. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent.
4. Add the red pepper and jalapeño and cook until the red pepper is softened, about 5 more minutes.
5. Add the garlic, ginger, chipotle and sambal and cook 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
6. Add the entire contents or the can of tomatoes, crushing the tomatoes with your hand. Cook 5 minutes.
7. Add the honey, paprika, tarragon and cumin. Cook for 20 minutes, lowering the heat to a low simmer as sauce begins to bubble.
8. Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach and bacon.
9. Evenly distribute the cup of feta in the bottoms of 7 individual mini casserole dishes. Pour about 1 soup ladle full of sauce on top. (The amount of sauce will vary based on the size of the mini casserole dishes). Using the bottom of the ladle, make a depression in the middle of the sauce.
10. Crack the eggs, individually, into a small bowl and gently pour one egg into the depression you created in each casserole dish.
11. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of feta evenly over each casserole.
12. Place casserole dishes on a sheet tray and cook in the oven for 10 minutes. Baste the eggs with a bit of the sauce and cook another 5 minutes.
13. Garnish with a few cloves of deep fried garlic, some chopped scallion and fresh Barbari or pita bread.
Ingredients for Deep Fried Garlic:
3 cups whole milk
2 cups olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 extra large egg
1 teaspoon water
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
14 whole garlic cloves
1. Place garlic in a saucepan and cover with 1 cup milk. Bring to a boil, then drain.
2. Repeat step 1 – two more times.
3. Place the oil in a heavy bottom saucepan and bring to 375 degrees.
4. Set up dredging station: 1 bowl with fl our, 1 bowl with the egg and water beaten, and 1 bowl with breadcrumbs.
5. Working in batches of 3 or 4 at a time, dredge the garlic in flour, egg wash, then breadcrumbs and deep fry for 30 seconds or until cloves are golden brown.